What is and How Does It Work?
Vaporisers, also known as a “vapes,” are a device that heats medicinal cannabis or its derivatives to the point where the therapeutic components are released as vapour rather than burning the plant material. This is known as vaporisation, and it is a healthier alternative to smoking since it eliminates the hazardous byproducts of combustion.
The Process of Cannabis Vaporisation
- Heating Element: A heating element inside a vaporiser is responsible for heating the cannabis to a specified temperature. This component can be composed of a variety of materials, such as ceramic, stainless steel, or even aluminium.
- Temperature Control: The ability of vaporisers to precisely control the temperature at which cannabis is heated is one of their primary advantages. Most vapourisers allow users to set the temperature they want, which normally ranges from 350°F to 450°F (175°C to 230°C). Different temperatures cause the cannabis to release different chemicals, allowing for a more personalised experience.
- Loading the Cannabis: Depending on the type of vaporiser, you’ll load it with either pulverised cannabis flower or a cannabis concentrate (e.g., oil or wax). Concentrates are often applied directly to a heating element, whereas ground flower is typically placed in a chamber or oven.
- Heating the Cannabis: When you turn on the vaporiser, the heating element starts to warm up. The active components in cannabis, such as THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol), begin to vaporiser as the temperature rises, without reaching the point of combustion, which occurs at a considerably higher temperature.
- Vaporisation: When the cannabis reaches the right temperature, it begins to emit vapour containing the desired cannabinoids and terpenes. This vapour can then be easily consumed by inhaling it through a mouthpiece or delivery mechanism.
- Inhalation: Users inhale the vapour, which absorbs the active chemicals into their bloodstream via lung tissue. This has a speedy onset of effects, usually within minutes, making it ideal for people looking for quick relief from symptoms.
- Exhale: After breathing the vapour, exhale it as you would regular air. Another advantage of vaporisation is that the vapour has a far less visible odour when compared to smoke.
This process maximises the advantages of cannabis while minimising any health concerns associated with smoking, such as inhaling toxic tar and carcinogens, by carefully managing the temperature and avoiding combustion. It also lets users enjoy the varied flavours and fragrances of various cannabis strains, which improves the whole experience.
What are the health benefits of using a vaporiser for cannabis?
Using a vaporiser for cannabis can offer a range of health benefits compared to traditional smoking methods. Here are some of the notable health advantages associated with using a vaporiser:
- Reduced Respiratory Risks:Vaping cannabis lowers the risk of respiratory difficulties such chronic bronchitis and lung inflammation, making it a safer option for lung health.
- Less Exposure to Harmful Substances: Vaporisers heat cannabis at lower temperatures than smoking, minimising the emission of hazardous substances such as tar, carbon monoxide, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). This decrease in toxic chemicals reduces the total health risks connected with cannabis use.
- Easier on the Throat and Lungs: When contrasted to the harsh smoke created by burning, vaporised cannabis generates a smoother and less irritating vapour. This softer experience may be especially advantageous for people who have delicate respiratory systems or are prone to coughing and throat irritation.
- Better Control Over Dosage: Vaporisers give accurate temperature control, letting consumers customise the temperature to their liking. This accuracy allows patients to fine-tune their cannabis use and obtain consistent dose, which is critical for managing a variety of medical ailments.
- Improved Flavour and Aroma Retention: Vaporisation retains the complete spectrum of terpenes and cannabinoids contained in cannabis, resulting in a more pleasant and aromatic experience. This can improve overall enjoyment of cannabis as well as its therapeutic effects.
- Rapid Onset of Effects: When compared to edibles or tinctures, vaporised cannabis is absorbed quickly through the lungs, resulting in a speedier onset of medicinal benefits. This is especially useful for individuals seeking fast relief from symptoms such as pain, anxiety, or nausea.
- Efficient Use of Cannabis: Vaporisers are extremely efficient at extracting cannabinoids and terpenes from cannabis, maximising the plant’s medical benefits while minimising waste.
Different Types of Vaporisers
Vaporisers are available in a variety of styles to accommodate a wide range of preferences and needs. Tabletop vaporisers are durable home-use devices that provide accurate temperature control and strong vapour production. Portable vaporisers, on the other hand, are small and portable, providing the benefits of temperature control in a smaller package. Pen-style vaporisers are sleek and unobtrusive, similar to e-cigarettes and offer a user-friendly experience, however, there are no current pen-style vapourizers medically registered in New Zealand. Meaning they cannot be prescribed by a doctor.
We highly recommend the Storz & Bickel Mighty Medic to anyone looking for a dependable and approved pocket-sized portable medical device. This vaporiser is specifically intended for inhaling cannabinoids, the key elements found in therapeutic cannabis. With its precision engineering and medical-grade certifications, the Mighty Medic + provides a safe, effective, and customised cannabis vaporisation experience.
Are there any potential health concerns with vaporising cannabis?
Vaporising is recognised as a safer form of intake. To minimise any potential health risks, it is essential to use clean and well-maintained devices. Individuals with respiratory issues should seek the advice of a healthcare expert before using vaporizers.
If you’re interested in learning more about medicinal cannabis treatment or how it can help your unique medical condition, don’t hesitate to take the next step.
Schedule a consultation with our licensed medical practitioner and explore our resources area to learn more about the great potential of medicinal cannabis. We care about your well-being, and we’re here to help you every step of the way.